Saturday, July 11, 2015

New quiche recipe with pears and gorgonzola cheese


A couple of years ago, one of the moms at school made us lunch.  She made a variety of quiches and a salad and dessert.  One quiche which was particularly good was a pear gorgonzola quiche, so I decided to try to find one on the internet.  I found a recipe for caramelized pear and gorgonzola quiche at
http://www.closetcooking.com/2010/11/caramelized-pear-and-gorgonzola-quiche.html

The recipe called for a large shallot, which I could not find in the grocery store today, so I substituted half a small Vidalia onion.  It also called for thyme, which I realized I did not have as I was cooking, so I substituted nutmeg, as it seemed to fit well.  Here is what I actually used:

2 strips of bacon cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 small Vidalia onion diced (Or 1/4 large sweet onion, diced)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 pears, peeled, cored, & cut into bite-sized pieces
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup half & half
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese

Because the boys are allergic to nuts, I just used a store-bought pie crust.  When I make quiche, I always get deep dish crusts, because every time I have made a quiche in a traditional crust, it has been full to overflowing. This quiche was full to the top in a deep dish crust, so I strongly recommend that you use a deeper dish crust, whether made from your own recipe or store bought.

Heat the oven to 375.  Spray a frying pan with cooking spray and cook the bacon and onions till the onions are softening.  Add the butter, melt it, then add the brown sugar and cook it into the rest.  Then add the pears. Saute until tender.  I cooked a little beyond, and the pear juice mixed nicely with the butter, etc.  Beat the eggs then add the half and half and cheese and stir together.  Add the contents of the frying pan, then the nutmeg and mix all together.  Pour into your crust and bake until firm in center and golden brown.  Mine never became a true golden brown like I have come to expect from Lorraine, probably because there is not the layer of cheese that toasts nicely on the top of Quiche Lorraine.  It took around 40-45 minutes to fully cook.

Everyone in my family liked it, including my older son who does not usually like blue cheese or gorgonzola.  I think the combination of flavors worked well.


No comments:

Post a Comment